Old WIPS...... especially the ones I'm never coming back to

Let's talk about some old WIPs of mine! Why? Who cares why!

This list is in more or less chronological order of when I've written them, but it's actually roughly in order of how much I like them, or them as they are right now, unedited and possibly never seeing the light of day again.

But still, whether or not they will see the light of day, I still wrote them and that gives them importance, so let's talk about them and give them a little love!


 Trilagia

How old I was: Roughly 11 through 12

Yeah, this was the first thing I ever wrote, and clearly, at the time I didn't know anything about a series or the fact that you had to know where it was going in order to write it, but these books are still dear to my heart even though I shall never read them again or I shall explode from cringe.

Amarah was the first awesome short spunky girl character I ever wrote, and also the first lil gremlin we should not trust with matches. I also got to explore worldbuilding in this one even though the worldbuilding was a little iffy, and dude these books had some STYLE. We had an ISLAND shaped like a DRAGONFLY. We had a dress that looked like a TULIP. We had BLACK IRISES IN THEIR EYES. There were some freaking GOOD LOOKS in these books.

Current Status: Never going to see the light of day, but never going to be trashed because nostalgia.


Elf series

How old I was: 13 through 15, I think? I think? Memory is f o g g y 

This series... also doesn't have a name. The books were lucky to have names, honestly, even though they were a little overwrought sometimes and a little cringe. The only reason I will never come back to this WIP is because it would take more editing than I have sanity in order to salvage it. However, writing these helped me explore more worldbuilding, write better fantasy histories, and build better characters. Also, it has Tasha, who is one of my favorite characters ever and an acceptable girl angst child. *hugs her even though she is trying to fight someone* Also. Awesome. Dresses. I think I may have lost my cool dress writing ability when I started to write all guy protagonists.

Not only that but this series literally had the coolest villains I've ever written in it. Give me a second to go on a little rant. The original villain's name was Lachlan, he was an elf that had gone dark and turned to using his gifts for Evil. He ran around in epic leather outfits and cloaks and mutated creatures into monsters for his dark purposes(one of them turning into one of my favorite characters, Crisledor, a shapeshifter), and he had this epic amazing dark backstory that I wish I could use somewhere else. Maybe one day I still will.

(okay feel free to scroll past this part of the post, this WIP is going to go on for another paragraph or so)

BUT THEN IN THE NEXT BOOK, it turns out that yes Lachlan had chosen this path for himself, but the crystal stuff that gave him his dark powers or kept him from feeling feelings or something was actually made up of another darker creature that took on human form by means of these OTHER VILLAINS that were also awesome that I've forgotten about(one could turn into a wolf, the other one could mess with people's brains, yes I had just watched Age of Ultron, why do you ask?), and the other force that took on human form was so much more evil than the other three combined and so awesome.

Seriously, I need to get back to writing villains like this, because I need villains like this in my life again. These guys were wicked awesome.

Current Status: On probably permanent hiatus, it would take too much editing to fix, but I should take some of the elements and use them in other things. I still enjoy reading it, though!


M.I.R.R.O.R.

How old I was: 16? I think? Maybe? Maybe 15.

This is one of the only fairytale retellings I ever did, and other than a few cliche elements, I still really like it! I'm not likely to use it for anything because all in all, it doesn't really go with my other books, but M.I.R.R.O.R. was really fun. I felt like most Snow White retellings didn't do much to explain why Snow White herself was so gullible and actually fell for all that crap when she shouldn't have known better. That was my primary reason for writing this, and ummmm it's basically all I can say for it. It was sci-fi and dystopian(never doing dystopian again, btw, I wasn't having fun), and it was on a skyscraper city where essentially the city was built in levels from poorest at the bottom to richest at the top, and everyone had color names based on their family's last name, thus Snow White.

Current Status: Drafted and left in a box. It was good for helping me try new things, but I'm good with leaving it the way it is.


Mission Past Pluto

How old I was: Probably 16 or 17

One of my favorite sci-fi things I've written, ever. Mission Past Pluto was a story I wrote about three astronauts on a mission to a possible Goldilocks Zone planet(if you don't understand the reference you need to be more of a science nerd). When they arrive they find that the planet has inhabitants, and the inhabitants take the three astronauts for observation. Essentially, I wanted to write a story about what would happen if aliens treated us the way we treat aliens in fiction. One of them got put in a zoo-type situation, one went off for experimentation and observation, and one of them sorta got killed? By accident. It was quite tragic.

In all sincerity, I still love this story and everything about it. I've never read the Martian, but it was sort of my Martian project, with all the mundane bits and the science and... yeah. I love this story.

Current Status: In probably permanent hiatus. I might edit it for myself one day, but I don't know when that day will come.


Static

How old I was: somewhere in my mid-teens

Static is about a pair of smart teenagers who just wanted to make immersive entertainment technology, but somehow they ended up making a machine that threw them inside a movie and forced them to live out the plot(why yes I had just watched Teen Beach Movie and wanted to make it sci-fi). As if living someone else's lives and trying to remember how the course of the movie went, there was an added problem: one of them played a character that dies in the end. And even worse, one of their other friends accidentally got sucked in later and he ended up getting cast as the villain, who is also supposed to die.

Don't worry, they all made it out fine in the end, but this story was fun for the twists and turns and also the sciency things I got to chuck in along the way. Of course, the actual premise of immersive entertainment technology forcing them to live out an alternate reality is a little shaky, but we're not questioning it.

Current Status: I'm not likely to ever edit this one. I like it, but not enough to spend all the time and energy it would take to make it great. Besides, like I said, the premise is a little shaky, so as a very logical person that would cause a huge problem for me.


Spell City

How old I was: 17 or 18

Spell City is one of my all-time favorite things I have ever written, more than anything else on this list. It is basically just the product of my hardcore love of hard urban fantasy, urban fantasy where werewolves and firebreathers wander around the city and potion makers run coffee shops. 

I especially love Castor, my fire eater and Soft Boi. He balances out the rest of the cast beautifully even if he isn't the main character. Actually, the main character, Luna, is the character that would need the most work since I don't like her as much as the rest of the cast. But she does love adventure and loves the place where she lives, and since the rest of the cast are the only people in the city who still have what one would call 'adventures', she really wants to fit in with them. 

I like it even better now that I'm an adult, because every member of the cast is an adult with a job and problems and they still find time to do all this stuff together and live life to the fullest, and that's why I think it would be even better to edit it now that I'm an adult who understands the things that the characters are going through.

Current Status: On my shortlist for editing after I finish the RCOBI trilogy, or maybe even sooner if I hit a real roadblock or magically have extra time.


Well, if you made it down to this point in the post and you're still interested in what I have to say, you get a cookie! *hands you a double-decker chocolate-covered oreo* There ya go homie.

I loved making this list, even though this is only about half of my past stories and I didn't want to overwhelm anyone with the sheer quantity of what I've written and not edited. I remembered all kinds of stuff about old stories that I hadn't thought about in a long time, LIKE THE SIBLING VILLAINS WITH DIFFERENT POWERS DUDE THAT'S COOL. And I'm now remembering all the reasons why I want to edit Spell City.


Anyway, here's the end of the post, enjoy your cookie and your day! See you soon with another post!

Comments

  1. This was so fun to read! I really appreciate you sharing this, especially the parts where you trashed things or are leaving them how they are...I sometimes have a hard time accepting that some of my old writing is beyond my capability to fix. XD So that was a great reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There comes a point where I had to accept that I'd written more things than I could ever edit considering how I still draft new things constantly, and I had to figure out my priorities. I can't say it was easy though 😅

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

12 Underused Creatures and Animals in Fantasy

10 Underused Historical Settings in Fiction

Villain Motivation Ideas Taken From History