Have you rewarded your writing recently?



It's simple: effort without reward = no fun.

Have you stopped to reward yourself for writing recently? Have you ever stopped to reward yourself for writing? Have you finished a tough scene, or reached a word goal, or done something hard, and then rewarded yourself for it?

You should.


As a writer, you are your own boss, and you need to be a fair one. Effort merits reward. Finishing on time deserves a pat on the back.

A reward can be anything. It can be a quick YouTube video after finishing your writing session for the day. It can be a Saturday off if you consistently write every day, Monday through Friday. It can be a face mask at the end of the day because you want one. Even 20 minutes of free reading time in the evening will suffice.

But make sure you reward yourself. Be a fair boss. Your brain is working hard here.



And I'm talking to myself here as well as you. I'm terrible at telling myself I did well. I'm terrible at making sure I get rewarded for my hard work. I'm writing this because the other day I realized I had not rewarded my own writing recently. And I don't know if it's adding to the mental block I've got going on currently or not, but maybe it is. 

If you're tired and you plan a break day, think of the break day as something you earned through all that hard work you've been doing. If you eat a piece of chocolate, don't think about it as a temporary break before you dive back into it. Think of it as you toasting a job well done so far.



It doesn't matter how you reward yourself. It doesn't have to be extravagant. Just make sure you're more than just toil and deadlines and more words more words more words. Writing is supposed to be fun. Make sure it stays fun.


That's all! See you on Tuesday with another post!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Underused Creatures and Animals in Fantasy

10 Underused Historical Settings in Fiction

Villain Motivation Ideas Taken From History