Words That Only Hurt Writers (A Humor Post)

As writers, by definition we love words. But not all the words. As a writer, some words are just hurtful to me. The words below are the words that hurt me the most. XD Comment with your worst words if I missed any!

Words That Only Hurt Writers

It's good, BUT...
Noooooooooo spare me from this one. When someone tells me something was good, but. Why does there always have to be a but? Why can't anyone just adore my writing for the flawless works of genius that they are??

Rewrite
Hisssssssssssssss. Begone, fell beast! Speak not to me of rewriting!
For real, I hate rewriting. Not as much as I used to(as in I used to turn over in my future grave when I realized something had to be rewritten), but it's still not my favorite part. I just wanna write it perfectly the first time, is that too much to ask?

Unnecessary
Another word that kills me in feedback. Nooo none of the words I have written are unnecessary! I may have written the same thing three different ways in that paragraph because I didn't know what I was trying to say, but all three of those sentences are masterpieces! They are genius! Unnecessary. Don't even say that word to me!

Infodump
Hehe what can I say, how I love to give information! But when there's too much information in one place in a book, it is a little much for me. I hate to read infodumps, so it would make me a hypocrite to keep writing them myself like it doesn't matter or something. So, sadly, my massive dumps of Tolkienish information will just have to go.

You're and it's instead of your and its
*profound oof*

I am a grammar Nazi. I can't stand grammatical errors, which is probably why it was killing me so much last month that I suddenly couldn't spell for some reason?? For real, it was death.

Blurb
*inhale*
*long screech*
*moment of panting*
*composes self*
I do not get along well with blurb writing. Blurb writing does not get along well with me. I always feel like hitting my head against a wall, then lighting my whole book on fire, then rinsing and repeating. But like, doing all that doesn't write me a blurb so like, I guess I'll have to actually write the stupid blurb.

Query
Similar to the blurb, a query is a tough beastie and a nasty boi to write. These words are the words that will decide whether someone chooses to represent your book or not. What about this concept is not terrifying??

Deadline
I work well under pressure, but I don't feel like I work well under pressure. I'm always panicking on the inside, I'm always nervous, I see the date getting closer and the panic builds up. Deadlines are good and they keep me productive, but they are terrifyinggggggggg.

Interjected, cautioned, maintained
I oof once more. I'm all for a cool dialogue tag, but oh help if you use one of the obnoxious ones. The three above are some of the ones I hate the most. They're just so clunky and don't make any sense. Of course your character is interjecting, of course they're cautioning, I can tell from the words that are coming out of their mouths. Why would you use such a gigantic word for something the reader can already understand? Bleh.

DNF
I don't know about you, but I feel like a quitter if I don't finish a book, even if the book is crapppp. I feel like the book has beaten me. But sometimes it's necessary. This hurts me more as a reader than as a writer, really. I've only had a couple people tell me they couldn't finish something that I'd written, but even those few were painful.



Original language
So most of us probably read some kind of badly written dialect at some point, and it's just a pain in the butt. This is why I have given up on writing my own original languages. It's not my strong suit, and I feel stupid writing them. So I don't write them. *laughs nervously as I think back on the bad dialects I've written*

Keyboard smash
Ouch. The keyboard smash names are just.... *inhales and exhales to calm self* Man I hate them. If I can't look at it and easily pronounce it, something's going wrong here. I am not looking forward to the day when someone tells me that one of my carefully crafted character names looks like a keyboard smash.

Cut
No! I refuse to believe that any of my beautiful sentences, lengthy paragraphs, or rambling chapters need to be cut! They are my babies and I will not cast them out in the cold!

All purple prose
OoOoOoFfFf
I can't even with purple prose, especially if the characters are speaking it. Might just be a personal preference because my writing tends to be more simple and casual, but if it's too flowery, I can't. I just can't. 



What are your feelings on the above words? What's the word that hurts you the most as a writer? Are you pro-purple prose or anti-purple prose? Let's talk in the comments!

Comments

  1. Oh man, the only thing worse than "interjected", "cautioned" or "maintained" is the feeling that "said" has already been used a million times and only being able to think of things like "interjected", "cautioned" or "maintained" to use instead. And don't even get me started on deadlines...

    (Also, yes, I'm new here, I've been reading your blog for a year or so, and just started my own, so I feel like I can finally comment!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, welcome!! And good grief the oof that gave me. Just yesterday I was trying to write and couldn't think of anything else besides 'said', so I was getting pretty out there with the dialogue tags. 😬

      Delete
  2. Dialog tags should be used as little as possible. Best to attribute dialog using actions whenever possible, e.g...

    He waved. "Have a nice trip down?"
    She nodded. "It was fine."
    "Great!"

    (See how easy it is to figure out who is speaking there despite the lack of dialog tags.)

    If you must use dialog tags-- sometimes there isn't a good alternative-- they should call as little attention to themselves as possible, meaning usually they should just be "said" or "asked". Trying to purple up your dialog tags is a big rookie mistake a lot of people make, e.g...

    "Have a nice trip down?" he queried.
    "It was fine" she responded.
    "Great!" he exclaimed.

    No, no, no, no.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

12 Underused Creatures and Animals in Fantasy

10 Underused Historical Settings in Fiction

Villain Motivation Ideas Taken From History