Everything I Love About Geek Charming

[Hold up! You probably already guessed, but this has spoilers for the Disney Channel film Geek Charming]

I'm a sucker for DCOMS(Disney Channel Original Movies). Are they high-quality cinematography? Normally, no. Are they super deep and life-altering stories? No. But are they fun and dumb and good for a laugh after a long day? Heck yeah.

And that's why I like them.

I'm not really in love with any of their promotional images for this movie, so I guess we're going with this one.


Geek Charming is basically just another Disney channel movie, but there are some unique things about the plot that make it stand out to me, so I'm going to rant about it because I have a blog and because I can. XD

From IMDB, a not-super-stellar blurb:


To win a school popularity contest, a high school diva permits a film club classmate to record her popular life, but the film starts documenting her decline instead.

Yeah, it's not the best synopsis, but I can't come up with any better off the top of my head, so there it is. Like all movies, there are some things about it that I don't like, such as a very prominent girl-on-girl feud, the age-old stereotype of 'she doesn't wear glasses because glasses make you unattractive', and the fact that all the male characters other than the MC and the film club are all blond jocks? but we're overlooking those today for the purpose of getting to the list of good things. So let's get to it, shall we??


Unfulfilled crushes
*does jazz hands* R e a l is m ! ! !
In a high school setting, it's realistic for some characters to have crushes on other characters and not have them end up together. That's just how life works. One of the girls in Josh's film club has a crush on him, not that he'd notice, because Josh already has a crush on another girl who he also doesn't end up with. At the end of the movie, some of the characters do get together, but not all of them do.

Change goes two ways
Dylan makes the biggest change in this movie, since the movie is primarily about her change, but in the end, both of them are changed. It's not one of those situations where the one character was right all along, and it's not one of those ones where they both change even though one of them had no need for a change arc. In the beginning both of them have preconceived notions about one another, and by the end, both of them have changed for the better. I like that.

Believe me when I say he did not look this put together at the beginning of the movie


Show us early on that she's not that bad
At the beginning of the movie, Dylan is a brat. She's selfish and flighty and shallow. Typical, right? But! The movie doesn't wait to show us that she's a human under all that. Pretty early on in the movie, we get to see her in her natural environment at home and she's just a person like everyone else. She does homework, she has struggles, and she is lonely. This gets you on her side pretty early, and you're rooting for her to become better because you can already see the potential.

Film nerd representation
Aw yissssssssss. Film nerds! My people! I've made amateur films and been obsessed with movies for who knows how long, and to see them in a movie makes me so. friggin'. excited. Josh and his friends are obsessed with both watching and filming movies, and not only do they know stuff plot elements and release years, but there is also a scene in the second half of the movie where Josh is watching a movie with Dylan's father and telling him all the behind-the-scenes trivia he can think of. *squeak of joy*

Yeah, THESE film nerds


There's a ton of other representation in this movie too, like the giant dog Josh has. Film characters always seem to have these teeny dogs, but Josh and his mother have a great dane/dalmatian mix, and he's MASSIVE. I also love that Dylan is super cute and girly, but she can also out-belch all the boy characters.

Dylan's dad doesn't spoil her
Another glorious thing they included in the beginning of the movie. Dylan's father adores her, and he considers her his most important contributor to decisions in his mall, but he doesn't spoil her. He knows how to tell her no and how to parent properly. He's a good dad.

Enemies to friends to lovers
Slow progression! Yes! At the beginning they're just putting up with one another. As the movie progresses, they slowly become friends, but it doesn't jump straight to 'omg they like each other' right away. 

Dylan already has a boyfriend at the time, and when she sees that Josh has a crush on a girl named Amy, Dylan goes out of her way to help him get a date with her. I find this so sweet. They supported one another's previous relationships and got to be great friends first, rather than do the whole drama of them kissing and then pulling apart because one of them is already in a relationship. Because bleh, that is just not attractive. 

So yeah, I really love this movie. <3


Okay, so that's all I have to say on Geek Charming. Have you see this movie? What's your opinion on DCOMs? Let's talk in the comments!

Comments

  1. GAHHHHH!! I flippin’ love the movie!! Not all them, but most of the DCOMS are so cute!! I recently watched The Swap on Disney+ and actually enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. 💕💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh I know! When I started the swap I was a little concerned that it was going to be really dumb, but I really enjoyed it!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

12 Underused Creatures and Animals in Fantasy

10 Underused Historical Settings in Fiction

Villain Motivation Ideas Taken From History