An Introduction to My NaNoWriMo WIP


This was supposed to have been posted on Tuesday, but I forgot!! Oh well!! (Just so you know, for the month of November I'm planning only to post on Tuesdays, no Thursday posts this month just to make writing easier on myself) But anyway!! Onward! Because today I get to talk about my NaNoWriMo project!!!!!

It's too late to leave now. You've fallen under my spell, and now you must listen to this. >:-)))

So we begin!

The Title: 
It took me significantly too long to title this project, especially after thinking about it for about a year and a half before actually starting to write it, but the title we're going with is Robbing Centaurs and Other Bad Ideas, which I feel like is funny and kind of captures the tone I'm going for with the book.

The Blurb:
I worked very hard creating this blurb and it still doesn't feel right, but please appreciate it.

 Two valuable artifacts have been stolen from different territories in the country of Aro, and now Wick, a tree messenger, is entrusted with a third to transport it to safety. Not far into his journey, he meets Archer, the thief who is taking the artifacts, and he wants Wick's artifact, too. The catch? Archer claims he needs items from every race in Aro to complete a spell. A spell that hasn't been used in hundreds of years, and that's only used when the fate of the world is at stake. 

The Cover:
And tadaaa!!!


                  (The bag is important, trust me)

The Setting:
I worked very hard on the setting. I have eight individual cultures attempting to co-exist, complete with history and tensions and alliances and varying kinds of architecture, and actually why has my brain not fried out yet by creating all this?

The country is called Aro, and the 8 races that live there are centaurs, leshy(creatures that look like trees, like ents but not slow), satyrs, fair folk(based off of old poems about the fair folk of Ireland), nixies, seraphs(they look like angels, but they aren't angels), manghar(pronounced MANG-har. They're bat people, think the scary big bat guy from Fantasia), and plain ol' boring humans. Gotta throw some into the mix just to have a little normality. The centaurs are the people that brought them all together and they watch over everything. They're also seers, which means everyone relies on them for the welfare of Aro.

But the problem is, they haven't had any visions about the disaster Archer is talking about, which makes Wick question everything quite a bit.

Here's the map I drew of Aro if you're interested:


The Characters:
My characters, as mentioned in the blurb, are named Wick and Archer.

Wick is one of the Leshy. Treeish people, remember? He is something of a celebrity among the Leshy, and he is a well-trusted messenger and adviser to all the other races. He's very good at handling political situations and balancing out deals between the various races, which is good, since there are still some ancient tensions between some of the people. He thinks he's happy(don't they all?), but all he constantly feels pressure to do everything right or else he considers everything he has ever done to be naught.

It's a long story, but both of these faces are Wick.

Archer is one of the seraphs, the winged people. But there's a slight problem: one of his wings broke once and healed in a mangled position, so it's no good for flying, and less good for anything else. He's very intelligent, but unfortunately, he uses that intelligence against nearly everyone around him, including Wick, and the two of them don't get along very well for the first part of the book. They become friends, don't worry. ;) Unlike Wick, he doesn't get along with just about anyone and has many enemies. Because of that, he's an outcast of just about everywhere, but he lives as a free and lawless hoodlum and enjoys it. He's a teensy bit annoying, but I love him anyway.


The Villain:
Lol y'all know me. I have a more general villain of nobody believing them and everyone going against them than just making one specific person be in the wrong. Why don't we just blame everybody? lol

And finally, the aesthetic collage!  
As y'all know, I live for this part of the process, so here it iiiiiiiiis!!!

The one for the full novel:

The one for Wick:

And the one for Archer:


And that's it for today! Tell me about your current WIP in the comments!

Comments

  1. THAT. MAP *hEArt eYes*

    I LOVE your races, and your characters sound SO COOL, I just gotta say --- "Wick" and "Archer" are FABULOUS names!!! =D Seriously, I want to know more about these guys! (also y'know...read your book...so like, I could just...y'know, read it now in before it's published, for...helpful purposes that definitely have nothing to do with just geeking out because WINGED PEOPLE and TREE FOLK and DISASTERS *coughcough*) XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so so glad you feel out about them just as much as I do! I love everything about this soon to be trilogy, and idk I might have to put off some other editing project to finish this one as soon as possible, so you just might have to be added to my list of beta readers. 😁😁

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

12 Underused Creatures and Animals in Fantasy

10 Underused Historical Settings in Fiction

Villain Motivation Ideas Taken From History