Fun Things You Can Add To Your NaNoWriMo Experience



NaNoWriMo is hard, can we just all agree on that? It's hard writing nearly 1.7k ever single day for 30 days. But there are always things you can do to add more fun to the chaotic roller coaster ride that is NaNoWriMo. So here's some ideas for you.


1. Create a rewards system.
For every difficult task in life, there should be something waiting for you when you accomplish your goal. If you want, you can buy a bag of chocolate and only allow yourself a piece once you've finished your daily word count. Or go for smaller goals and allow yourself a piece every 300 words! It's your system, not mine. Other rewards could include:

  • Watch a YouTube video or an episode of a show when you finish for the day.
  • Take a break and read a few chapters of a book when you hit the halfway mark.
  • Make yourself a chart and give yourself a sticker for every major benchmark.
  • Or my personal favorite: buy a bunch of candy bars and reserve them for the big moments: the 10,000-word mark, then 20,000, 25,000(the halfway point), 30,000, 40,000, then finally 50,000!



2. Get something to keep you company while you write.
We've discussed my little writing buddies I pick out each year to set on my laptop for company. You could go for lego minifigs, action figures, or a rubber duck, whatever floats your boat (or your duck). You could get your cat or dog to keep you company. Or find a family member who can keep you accountable.

However, I personally don't resort to actual humans because 1) I believe that's called kidnapping, and 2) I prefer the company of something that can't talk back when I try to start conversation, to avoid getting distracted lol.

These are this year's buddies. :D

3. Create a custom background for your computer that goes with your novel.
Another thing I love doing every year! You could download a bunch of pictures and set your computer to do a slideshow of them (it's under a setting called a dreamscape, you just have to select the right folder of pictures), or you could just go with one for a solid background. You could use your cover straight from the NaNoWriMo website, pick something that goes with your book from the internet, or find something else. I'ms sure there are plenty of people who have made NaNoWriMo themed computer wallpapers.




4. Participate in a write-in.
A write-in is an event specific to NaNoWriMo in which a bunch of writers get together to try to knock out their word counts in one another's company. Check your local library system and you're bound to find one in your area. But even if you don't, there are always virtual ones you can participate in, livestreams and the like. I'm thinking of doing a virtual write-in myself. Drop me a comment and give me your opinion!




5. Get a word sprint app.
Many people have created apps for your phone or computer that ensure you get your goal word count done in plenty of time. I've seen ones where you're fighting a boss battle by writing more words and I've seen ones that just let you write and then give you consequences if you don't write enough words. They're all different, and they all sound fun! The parameters and rules are all up to you, so they can't give you anything harder than you can handle.

I must confess, I've never used one of these. I've heard of several good ones, but I've never tried one myself. So if you have, let me know which one you used and what you thought of it!


6. Remember that at the end there are prizes!
If you've never done NaNoWriMo before, I won't spoil the ending, but once you hit the 50k mark, there are prizes to be had. Not to mention, you can always provide yourself with prizes! Set aside some money for a shopping spree if you want, or plan to go out and get your favorite snack. 50k words is a big deal, and make sure you treat it as such by rewarding yourself with something you want badly.


Are you participating in NaNoWriMo this year? Have you won before? Let's talk in the comments!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Underused Creatures and Animals in Fantasy

10 Underused Historical Settings in Fiction

Villain Motivation Ideas Taken From History