Tropes I'm Sick of VS Tropes I Never Get Tired Of

Paperfury recently did a post on tropes she loves, and I really love posts like that, so here's mine. I also wanted to go into some tropes I'm super super done with, because I've been seeing some things that irk me recently, and I desperately need to make a lot of noise about them.

So let's talk tropes.

Tropes I'm sick of:


Guys shirtless scenes.

Shirtless scenes in books are just starting to make me gag. Like, nobody involved is even embarrassed that one of them is partially undressed! So shallow. So done. *leaves*


Characters fighting about tiny things.


Friends, siblings, parents, love interests... anymore they're all fighting about all these itty bitty little things that really don't matter. You kept one tiny unimportant piece of knowledge from me? I dump you. I saw you spending time with a different friend instead of me? I'm not giving you time to explain! I never want to talk to you again! Like, shouldn't their relationship be stronger than that?


Time travel stories where they explain the rules in the beginning and then break those rules at the end. 


Don't let his cute smile fool you. Him changing the timeline at the end of the movie probably would have blown up the universe.

Tell me if this sounds familiar. People work out how to do time travel, and then they explain the things they can't do without wrecking the universe or things they can't do anything about (aka, fixed point in time. Thank you for the terminology, Doctor Who.) Then, at the very end, they hope we've forgotten these rules and break them all.

"Changing the past doesn't change the future!" Then how did elderly Captain America walk all the way here??? And then they don't even address the fact that they would have actually blown up everything??? fakjafdkjfdklafsdkld


That one girl character who's always screaming about white male supremacy.

Like, it's too much. Women are gaining more and more power in this world, and I don't think they're done yet, so stop yelling. Sit down. You did a good job. Here, have a cookie. Just please, stop giving me a headache.


Tropes I never get tired of:


Using blogs and social media as a way of tracking people.

I'm talking the Twitter posts in Annie. I'm talking Kai's (also) Twitter posts in Ninjago season 6. I'm talking the vlog from that one Class novel I read in which the guy was using his vlog episodes as an SOS. In this modern age, using social media as a way to track someone down is just so darn clever!


Characters breaking.

When the skeleton is sad, everyone is sad.

That moment where a character breaks and we finally get to see what bothers them. Love it! For sweet strong characters, it's heartbreaking. For tough characters, it's eye-opening. No matter who breaks, breaking scenes are always my favorite.


Having serious conversation while involved in not-serious activity.

Such as discussing the future of the country while building a puzzle with a three-year-old. Also conversations in which tomfoolery is going on in the background. I normally get distracted from either the conversation or the goings-on in the background when this is going on, but it's just too funny.


The character who's always eating something.

Behold, the burger.

Ever seen Ocean's Eleven? If you keep a close eye on Rusty, you may note that every time he shows up in a scene, he has food in his hand. It's hilarious. And it's a good character quirk. Characters who are perpetually doing the same thing in every scene are so fun. Bonus points if the quirk is a stress-induced habit that intensifies when the tension is on.


Okay, enough about me, what tropes bug YOU? What tropes do you love to death? Let's talk in the comments!

More like this:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Underused Creatures and Animals in Fantasy

10 Underused Historical Settings in Fiction

Villain Motivation Ideas Taken From History