How I Get Writing Done Around Work



Work. Let us sigh together.

*world collectively sighs*

My work schedule has been hectic lately. But somehow?? I have actually managed to more or less keep up with my writing?? Granted, there have been some unwelcome interruptions by things like colds... *glares* ...but I have more or less managed to keep up!

Let's talk about some ways to keep up with your writing when work tries to get in the way.

Tip #1:
Write as much as you can before work.

If you have any time before you have to go, utilize it! I would even recommend getting up a little early in order to get some done before you have to leave, so you can do it while your brain is still fresh. The added bonus to this is that you won't be worrying about the writing you're not doing while you're working because a lot of it will already be done!


Tip #2:
Use a dual-device system.

Yes, I could have just said 'an app that is synced between your computer and your phone' because that's what it is, but that would have been a really long sentence. So dual-device system it is. What I use is called OneNote. It is an app that saves your words, even organizing them into 'notebooks' if you want, and the best part is that you can install it on both your computer and your phone to sync them together.

What is the point of this? You can put your current project, or even just your current chapter, into OneNote, and since it is now on both your devices, you can write on your phone while you're out, and you won't have to bring your whole bulky laptop with you. How great is that? I've gotten hundreds of words written while I'm out of the house using this system.


Tip #3:
Write on your break.

This is where your synced app comes in handy. Whether you have a ten-minute break or an hour break(I personally get a fifteen and a forty-five), this time can be used to write! Even if you have to eat on your break, you can multitask. On longer breaks, you can do more of a marathon, but if you really want to get a lot done on a shorter break, I would suggest you do writing sprints.

Set a timer for an amount of time (five minutes is normally best), and as soon as it starts, write, write, write! Type as fast as you can and get as many words on the page as you can before the timer goes off. The most I've ever gotten out of a word sprint was about six to seven hundred words, but if you can do better, I want to hear about it!


Tip #4:
Don't be so hard on yourself!

Life is hard.


If you can't get a lot done today, or this week, or even this month, it's okay! You'll make a comeback soon. Time to write comes and goes, and so does writer's block. If you need a break, take a break. If you write a word, get some chocolate. Do what you need to do to keep being fabulous! And don't ever stop!


More like this:
How To Accomplish Writing With a Short Attention Span
Getting Your Inspiration (6 Methods to Try!)


How's your writing been going this month? How do you get writing done at work? Let's talk in the comments!

Comments

  1. I'm a cashier at Walmart and I just keep a notebook and pencil on me at all times, if there are no customers no one minds if I write a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish my higher-ups wouldn't mind me writing between customers, because that sounds like such a good idea!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

12 Underused Creatures and Animals in Fantasy

10 Underused Historical Settings in Fiction

Villain Motivation Ideas Taken From History