The Mess Inside My Desk (The Messy Desk Tag)


What is up, my word warriors? How's your writing going?

Today we have more of a fun post, and I hope you enjoy! I think I'll turn it into a tag (or at least try to), because while I've never had enough guts to participate in a tag, I've seen plenty of them and I think it would be fun to see everyone else's mess. The concept is, take some candid pictures of the inside of your desk or whatever you use to file your writing materials and post them to your blog. Here we go!


This is my desk. There are three drawers in my desk dedicated to writing stuff. The fourth one is just craft stuff ()

Big drawer first, and this has the most stuff in it of the three.
Yeah, look at all that crap.
First, we have my folder of world maps I've drawn. The really weird-looking ones are towns and castles, in case you're wondering, but don't zoom in too much on the picture. Some of the maps are really bad and need to be redone. 

Next we have my folder that is helpfully labeled 'Story Stuff'. Luckily, since the helpful label is my handiwork, I actually know what this means. It's basically just a folder of stuff I used to build the story: outlines, working title ideas, worldbuilding notes, etc, etc, etc.

And this is just a folder of random writey crap. Nice notes about stuff
I've written, articles and whatnot.
But THIS, my friends, is a folder not to be reckoned with.

It is my big red folder of character info, and it's pretty darn huge. Why? Haha, because I have no restraint when it comes to casts of characters and every story I write has too many. There are actually some fallen heroes in this folder as well (as in, characters that were taken out of the story), but shh don't say it too loudly. I haven't had the heart to tell them yet.



See, it's huge. But is it the biggest folder I have in my desk? *Maniacal laughter* Of course it isn't! I also have my folder of loose-leaf drafts!
Yeah, it's pretty thick.
This is about seven drafts worth of notebook paper.
This is why we use notebooks or computers, people. So you don't 
live in constant fear of this colossus falling on the floor and all 
the papers falling out of their paper clips.
Then we have this little oddity. These are the mean boss files.


Mean boss is a cartoon character I made up to motivate me to do things. If I need something to be done, I write myself a note of what I need to do and draw his little face on it. With him scowling at me, I have to get it done, or he will continue to glare.

Here are my three NaNoWriMo winner certificates! (so proud)

And at the bottom of this pile we have the notebook I wrote my first story in! Aah, nostalgia. I just don't open it for fear of my self-respect losing twenty points.

Bonus content! You thought my gigantic folder with all the character info in it was the full extent of my character profiles? Aah, you poor sweet dear. NO! It's not!! I also have an entire binder dedicated to this self-same set of files, including drawings I have done of the characters!

If I ever need an army, I know where to go.


Next drawer! Don't worry, these next two are much smaller drawers. The top drawer of the two is full of pencils, pens, erasers, and a couple smaller notebooks.
That whole green flowered bag is full of erasers.

These are all my extra pencils and pens. Yes, I have a problem.
Last drawer! This is where I keep all my partially-filled or empty notebooks. I use all notebooks to their full potential because I know how many trees I kill regularly, and I plan to spare as many of their brethren as possible.

My collection of extra paper in this drawer is ridiculous. I have so much I could use it as the background of a selfie.


(Yeah, I know I'm not smiling in the picture. I couldn't get it to look right, and this is the one where I actually look good, okay? Your other option was this )

But yeah, paper. Heck, I have so much I could bathe in it.
nothing like a nice bath of paper.
Is the water warm enough yet?
It's almost ready...
Yeah, I know I'm insane.

All righty, that's it for the mess inside my desk! To all my peeps who have their own blogs (Rachel, Gray) let's see you participate!
Coming soon: The collection of papers I take with me when I leave the house.
How messy is your desk? Do you have a system for how you file your writing stuff? Let me know in the comments, and I will do my best to reply!


Follow me on Instagram! (writing memes, people!)
Follow me on Twitter! (writing humor!)

Comments

  1. Oh my goodness, this post made me laugh so hard. xD Maybe I should try bathing in paper sometime...
    My desk sadly doesn't have many interesting writing folders since most of the drawers are dedicated to yucky schoolwork. Perhaps I'll do a "Messy Room" tag in order to reach where my journals are really kept. :D
    Amazing post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doing a Messy Room tag sounds awesome! I would for sure read that post!

      Delete
  2. I am not organized enough to keep my writing stuff in my desk, although my full notebooks usually end up there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, mine too. An overwhelming amount of them...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

12 Underused Creatures and Animals in Fantasy

10 Underused Historical Settings in Fiction

Villain Motivation Ideas Taken From History