Writing Realistic: Learning to Drive



I GOT A QUESTION! (couldn't find a stupid gif of that vine, so gkjdakjfdajkdfkjsdkjl;sdf)

If it's so hard to learn to drive properly, how come eleven-year-olds in movies drive like pros the second they touch the steering wheel? Imma tell ya right now, it wouldn't work too well. Even if they could get away with it, it wouldn't be this:


It would be a lot more like this:


or even this:


Earth to Echo amused me the most because all four twelve-year-olds got into a car and automatically looked it up on WikiHow. I found it hilarious, because that's America for you. But the fact still remains that after they ran into a trash can the first time, they drove fine after that. I'm no expert, but I think you'd have to practice driving for like three days straight before you could pass for a good driver on the roads. Once you get up to speed, you can stay there all right, but starting and stopping is a nightmare when you're first learning. All the kids from Earth to Echo should have had their teeth properly shaken out. Plus, shouldn't they be internally panicking the entire time?

First-time drivers nearly run into things, take turns too fast, and start and stop too hard. They don't know rules of the road, and they definitely don't know where the windshield wipers are. You don't even have to make the learning part super prominent. Just so long as they nearly take out a couple of traffic cones and accidentally slam the brakes at the light, I'll be happy, trust me. But hey, I won't complain if you make it a little more exciting. The first time my dad went driving with my uncle, my uncle sped across a crowded street and jumped a curb into the other set of lanes.

And one more thing! Won't someone notice that underage kids are trying to drive? Someone would at least notice when an eleven-year-old climbed out of the driver's seat in the parking lot. Or maybe a policeman would get a good look while they were stopped at a traffic light. And this is all without them jumping curbs and swerving all over the road. They should at least put the oldest looking kid in the driver's seat so that it looks like they're driving legally. And consider this: why are they driving illegally in the first place? It's not like the world has a shortage of licensed adults that could drive them places.

I just wanted to quickly point this out. Maybe you take something away from this, maybe you don't. But I wanted to talk about it.



Before you leave, make sure to say hi to me in the comments, and check out my Instagram @scribbledfiction and Twitter @ScribbldFiction for writing humor. See ya next week!

Comments

  1. I totally agree with this, I was seventeen when I learned to drive and the first time behind the wheel was terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is pretty hilarious...and so true. I know it took me a LOT longer than sixteen seconds to figure out the whole driving thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, this whole post is so true! I was a fair driver at twelve, I could drive back roads fine, but now that I have my learner's permit and am actually driving on highways and all that I realize how there was no way I could have driven actual roads well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

12 Underused Creatures and Animals in Fantasy

10 Underused Historical Settings in Fiction

Villain Motivation Ideas Taken From History