11 Things Writers ADORE


Confession: I'm a little concerned that my satirical attempts at humor on this blog make me sound like a tiny bit of a hater on my craft. My kind writerly friends, please do not take any of this as hate on the craft! (unless, of course, I am actually hating on the craft, in which case I will probably put up signs of warning)

So, in favor of not looking like a hater of my kind (and just because I felt like it), I give you this little piece of humorous sunshine: a list of eleven things I (as a writer) OBSESS over.

       1. Imaginary interviews
             If I had a dollar for every time I imagined I was being interviewed, I would be a millionaire by now. This means, of course, that when the time comes and I'm in an actual interview, I'll find I don't know how to speak English. That'll be exciting...

       2. Good reviews
             Even if all the other feedback I got from my beta readers was negative, one tiny little bit of positive response would be enough to make me happy. They loved that character? They never saw the plot twist coming? Score!!!!

       3.The day that my beloved babies get made into MOVIES!!!!!
             Not to mention the actors who will be in it (!!!) and the soundtrack that they'll write for it (!!!!) or the costumes (!!!!!!) or the fact that I'll get to be on set.... (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) The thought is just too thrilling for words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

       4. Pens! And notebooks! And fancy paper! And pencils! (writing supplies in general, actually)
             I have so many of everything that I have an entire drawer in my desk devoted to writing utensils and entire drawer devoted to notebooks. Yeah, I've got it bad. And I don't even have adult money yet.

       5. Book covers (drool)
             Some book covers are just kinda meh, but when people make a good book cover, they make a good book cover. I could talk about the beautiful and unique ones for ages. And I do, with my sister, all the time. We rave together. Can't wait until the day that I have my own books sitting on my shelves. Eeeeee!

       6. That moment that the whole plot comes together (Kronk?)
             My favorite part of the writing process. When something comes together and it just makes. sense. It's just so beautiful. I get so happy and I babble about it to my family for ages.

PLEASE READ - I've started a board for writers to connect with each other, give tips and advice, RP, etc.  If you're a writer and want to join, comment below!

       7. People who love my books as much as I do
             I cannot wait to meet these people. Well, I mean, my family likes my books. But like, fans. What is the allure of strangers knowing who you are and what you do? I don't know, but I can't wait to meet fans one day. I feel like this notion deserves another squeal of joy. EEE!

       8. The day that I can actually find the paper I'm looking for in the freaking mess inside of my desk.
             Wouldn't that be lovely. Let me rant for a minute. When I'm all done the first draft of a new novel, I set it aside for a little bit to let it stew in my brain, and I carefully sort all the prewriting papers into nice little folders inside my desk. But even THEN I can NEVER FIND THEM AGAIN. Did I put it in a different place?? Did I throw it away??? Tell me I didn't throw it away!?!?! This is why I'm working on developing a more efficient way to do my prewriting.

I'm the white kitten.

       9. Push-the-buttons, writer memes and other people who just get it.
            Not only is this a good way for anti-social writers to connect and all writers to feel like they have a community floating around on the internet, but memes and suchlike are an excellent way to procrastinate rather than do the writing.

       10. Creating Pinterest boards!!!
             Pinterest, the ultimate procrastination excuse. The worst part of creating Pinterest boards for your novels is that since they're technically part of the writing process, it technically counts as writing and you can just Pinterest a little and give yourself the rest of the day off. Yay!

       11. Inside references like WIP, MC, prewriting, character sketch, NaNoWriMo
             Feeling in the know about something is a good way to get people to feel like they belong and make them want to stay, did you know that? When people use terms like MC and outline and suchlike, it makes me happy because I actually know what they're talking about. It is the terminology of writers. Most people when you start talking about it don't even know what NaNoWriMo is. It's our tongue.

Too many exclamation marks and italicized words, I know. But now you know what happens when I stop being satirical and start getting excited about things. I seldom have an excitement level of less than 110%.

 I may or may not find an excuse to do another post like this in the future if anyone's interested. It's just fun writing about this kind of thing. It would also be fun to write an anti-version of this post where I write about the stuff in writing that gets on writers' nerves. Let me know if either one of those sounds like fun to you!

See you next week!

Visit my Twitter
Visit my Instagram

Comments

  1. 9 and 11 are my favorites, I think of your 'writing kills 99.9% of mentors' meme every time I see a bottle that says kills 99.9% of bacteria. I love acronyms and abbreviations (as least the ones I understand).

    I would love to see another post like this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #9 is basically all my content on my instagram and twitter. writing humor all around!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

12 Underused Creatures and Animals in Fantasy

10 Underused Historical Settings in Fiction

Villain Motivation Ideas Taken From History