Novel Soundtracks 2: Bad Guy Songs




Villain songs! Villain songs! I could sing their praises from a high mountaintop using a megaphone and a worldwide intercom. I could screech their karaokes until the space station calls to complain about the noise. I could bellow them all day while stalking around my house wearing a black cloak and the heads of twelve teddy bears around my neck. That is how much I love villain songs.


Novel soundtracks should always, 100% of the time, without exception, have a song for their villain (I mean, unless you don't have an embodied villain. Then that could be a problem). For some reason, only one of the three novel soundtracks I've created have had a song for the villain, so I don't know what's wrong with me, but I really do think that all novel soundtracks should have one.

But first things first! Remember that your villain is a person too, and their song on your soundtrack doesn't necessarily have to be 'Be Prepared' or 'Poor Unfortunate Souls'. My lowly one villain song for last year's NaNoWriMo was 'Stay Alive' by Hidden Citizens. Hidden Citizens is a group? I think? that I ran across on YouTube. They have some good epic music.


Seriously, any song that reminds you of the villain's thoughts or motivations can be your villain's theme song. If 'Beautiful Dreamer' does it for you, go for it. I won't judge.

And oh, the variety of songs you can choose from!

Here's some of the best ones I can think of:

  • Jonathan Young!!! This guy is a YouTube artist (notice my YouTube fetish yet?) who covers Disney songs and Anime songs in Pop Punk, Hard Rock, Metal, what have you. His Disney villain covers are the BEST. I legit discovered his channel and proceeded to watch most of his 100-something videos in the next few weeks.
  • Uh, Disney songs. Doi. Poor Unfortunate Souls, Shiny, Mother Knows Best, My Lullaby, Be Prepared, etc., etc., etc.
  • Any number of Taylor Swift's angry songs. One of the best for villains, imho, is 'I Did Something Bad' from Reputation.
  • Like I said, check Hidden Citizens.
  • Broadway. They have some good baritones singing villain songs.
Uh, that's all I can think of so far as villain songs. Let me know in the comments if you think of any ones I missed, and I can add them to the list.


That's it for today. You can visit my first post about novel soundtracks here (it's about the good guy songs).
Visit my Instagram and Twitter for writer funnies, and put your email in on the sidebar for emails every time I put up a new post. See ya next week!

Comments

  1. Ooh I love Hidden Citizens!! Their songs are EPIC and I definitely use them for battle scenes and such!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

12 Underused Creatures and Animals in Fantasy

10 Underused Historical Settings in Fiction

Villain Motivation Ideas Taken From History