Busting Writer Myths: Writing is Hard


In the last post, I talked about how writing is not easy. We all know how true that is. Make sure you read that one before going on to this one, since they kind of go together. You know, like mac and cheese. Or writing all night and having a terrible attitude in the morning.

Yup, writing is hard. I spent several good hours working on the last post to prove that writing really is hard. And it is. Really, really, really hard. *sigh* But it's not impossible. Lots of people who don't actually write novels or tried it a little only to give up after a few pages might think it's impossible. Why in the world would they think it's impossible?



But seriously, there are lots of non-writer people out there who think it's a lot harder to write a novel than it actually is. I'm not 100% sure why they think that. It could be all the memes they've seen about how hard it is, or quotes like the one I just used above. Or it could be that they've heard about how hard it is to get published. It could be that they've tried and found out for themselves how hard it really is. Oy, now that I've said all that, writing really does sound impossible. I need to go lie down for a while and cry. Okay, I think I'm defeating the purpose of my own blog post.

But nonetheless, writing isn't impossible. Wanna know the secret to making sure writing isn't impossible? It's easy. Time for the quote from Meet the Robinsons:


 Just so long as you don't stop writing, you can figure it out. The rough patches will smooth out, the unlikeable characters can be rewritten, terrible reaction scenes will eventually be over, and candy will fall from the sky like rain. Well, not so much for the last one. But all the others are true. If you're finding your novel to be a pain to write as I have in the past, just keep writing, because eventually you'll hit the place where you're excited about it again and it's easier to write. If you're finding it hard to stay interested or it feels like you're grinding along harder than a dump truck with four flat tires, raise the stakes of the story, or make the unexpected happen. That's something I learned from the author of the One Year Adventure Novel course. Whenever the story feels like it's running out of juice, make the unexpected happen.

And last tip for today: don't abandon every project. All the novels will feel rough at some point in the first draft, but like I said before, it'll get better. You have to see at least a couple novels through to the end before you can really get a grasp for novel writing. And besides, if you never see them through to the end, you won't get to experience the satisfying feeling you get when you write the words 'The End'. If you ever plan to call yourself a writer, you have to know that feeling at least once.

So yeah, writing is hard, but at the same time, it's really not. Not if you love it a lot and are willing to go the distance (Hercules, now's your moment). There will always be days where we want to bash our MCs over the head with a baseball bat, but at the end of the day we love the writer's life. It's just the way writers are.


Now, allow me to beg you to follow me on my platforms and keep coming back to this blog for future funny writer posts. I know it's obnoxious when I do this, but guess what? I actually want you to follow me on my social media and keep coming back to this blog because it makes me happy when people care about what I do.

My Twitter
My Instagram
And enter your email on the sidebar to get an email alert whenever I put up new blog posts!


Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go bash my unlikeable MC over the head with a baseball bat. See ya.

Comments

  1. Aren't we supposed to bash our MCs over the head anyway? You just did a post about that.

    Also you just inspired me to keep writing even though I'm having trouble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, they do have to suffer. ;-) So glad I was able to help!

      Delete
  2. Liz Gilbert explained the misconception of writer's martyrdom in her book "Big Magic" Bethany, or anyone else, you might be interested in reading it

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

12 Underused Creatures and Animals in Fantasy

10 Underused Historical Settings in Fiction

Villain Motivation Ideas Taken From History