Click here to read my entries from The Writer Games!!!



So, as you may or may not know from reading my January Wrapup just a few days ago, last month I participated in a writing contest called The Writer Games!

I'd never done a contest before, and I was almost too chicken to do it, but it was hosted by my dear Julia from LitAflame, so how bad could it be? I signed up thinking that once I saw how the first round would go, I would figure out whether I wanted to keep going or not. Like I said, I was super chicken. *laughs nervously*

But it was awesome! Round one involved a whopping 80 people and involved writing a 6-word writing prompt that you would use in your own story should you reach the finals. I didn't include the prompt in the PDF that's coming up soon because... well, it's only six words. Giving it its own page seemed a little much for half a sentence. So I'll include it here:

I slayed the stars for you.

And I made it into the next round!! One of only 30 to do so!!

I gotta say, I wasn't really expecting to do that well.

So round 2. Only 10 of us would make it out of this one, and we had four days to write the 100-word short story(the one I wrote for this was Sir George). To be fair, four whole days to write and edit only 100 words isn't that bad. So I slaved over the story. I forgot how hard it was to squeeze a tale into such a small space.

If you don't know what I'm going through, go try to write something that's only a hundred words. Just try. A hundred words is NOT a lot.

But I made it through that round too! I made it into the top ten!!

For the semifinals, we had to write a 500-word complete story(mine was A Light in Dark Places). I should add that for each round, not only did every entry have to fit within the word count, but whatever you wrote also had to match up with the story theme that had been set up for the games itself, and a prompt that was given out for each individual round.

And each time we only had four days.

What a challenge! The thrill! The excitement! (the anxiety)

But no lie, it was so much fun.

So, I didn't make it past the semifinals. But the three writers that have are super duper talented, and I'm so proud of them! Would I like to have made it further? Of course! But I don't regret the way I wrote a single entry, and I wouldn't have written them differently. I loved everything I wrote, and it's for that reason that I'm sharing them.

The results for the finalists are going up later this week, and since reading the final three entries, I am super excited to see who won!

So without further ado, here is the PDF of my final two entries. Just click the image to be taken straight to it! I hope you enjoy. And I'll see you on Tuesday with another post!




Here are some more short stories on this blog if you liked these:
By Moonlight (A Werewolf Story As Told By A Teenage New Yorker)
Wick and Archer- A Flash Fiction

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Underused Creatures and Animals in Fantasy

10 Underused Historical Settings in Fiction

Villain Motivation Ideas Taken From History