12 Underused Creatures and Animals in Fantasy


Photo by Антон Воробьев on Unsplash


Look look! Another series! It'll probably be pretty short since I can only think of fantasy, sci-fi, and realistic fiction to involve in a series about underused creatures, but if you have another genre I could do, please comment and tell me because I would LOVE to expand this series!

It is one of my favorite things in the world to think outside the box and do things that other people haven't done yet. And using creatures that no one else has used yet has been a big deal for me ever since I started writing. Heck, people didn't use the internet a ton just yet, so I would go fishing through the dictionary and encyclopedia to find a creature no one had used yet so I could use it. Or other times I would just make up something weird and give it a name. 

Here's a list of the fantasy creatures/animals you've probably heard of, written about, and/or read about.
  • Elves (one of the most common tropes, but how I love them)
  • Fairies (whether it's the tiny sparkly kind or the tall, dark and scary kind)
  • Horses (so many horses)
  • Pegasi (as in more than one pegasus)
  • Birds of prey (falcons, eagles, hawks)
  • Goblins (wow, I'm using a lot of parentheses)
  • Dwarves
  • Trolls
  • Centaurs
  • Unicorns
  • Fawns and/or Satyrs. There are a couple of subtle differences, but people use the names interchangeably for some reason, unwashed heathens that they are.
Elves, dwarves, and fairies are the ones that are over-used the most. And with enough originality, they can still be great. BUT! Just be aware that they seem to be the starter pack of fantasy creatures, possibly with a couple others from the above list thrown in. Basically, I think everyone just looked at Tolkien, thought, Wow, now that guy knows how it's done, and then did what he did. Not that I would ever dream of doing such a thing myself. *cough cough* guilty *cough cough*


There's a reason people use that specific set of creatures so much, and it's pretty simple: They're freakin' awesome!!! I'm not saying you shouldn't use them. But you could consider using some of the ones I'm about to talk about, because they are also cool and they want a little recognition if you would be so kind, sir.

In future you could consider using:
  • Spirits!!! Tree spirits, water spirits, and air spirits. Their official names are Dryads, Nyads, and... uh, Sylphs. Why they don't have a matching set of names is beyond me.
  • Tammer. I've also seen it called a skyvader. In essence, it is winged bun-bun rabbit. So cute!!!! 
It can also just be called a winged rabbit, but that's boring.
  • Banshees. You've probably heard of them, but do you know all the details? They're women from Irish folklore who supposedly scream at you when you're about to die. But the detail that interests me is the long white hair that is always in snarls because of the wind, and they are eternally combing it.
  • Cats. Not mythological, but definitely underused. There are all kinds of luck surrounding cats, plus they're basically indestructible. Create a cat sidekick and I will love you forever.
  • Kobolds. Mythology can't seem to 100% agree about them. In some stories they're freaky goblinish creatures that cause all kinds of trouble and harm. But in other legends they help with mundane household chores unless neglected or agitated. I think scary sounds much better, don't you?
  • Fair Folk. They're like fairies, but not quite. If you've read any poems about fairies from a long time ago, you'll learn that they're really a mixture of a lot of things: brownies, hobgoblins, fairies, and and all their friends and relatives. They go around in crowds after sundown, and if you don't give them what they demand, they'll put a terrible spell on your household. Check out the fairytale The Goodwife's Midnight Labors.
  • Nixies. Think scary mermaids with green skin and seaweed hair. They're sometimes also depicted as water horses, or even hansome men playing the violin, but I like the mermaid version better. In some cases they try to drown you or take over your life on land, but others aren't as nasty.
  • Perytons!!! I love these things! Picture a stag with wings. Cool factor at 100. Some of them even come in different colors.
  • Griffins. You've probably heard of them, but ever notice how little they're used? Please, take my cute little half-eagle, half-lion babies and give them lives of their own. They deserve it!
  • Phoenix. I assume the plural is phoenixes, but I didn't want to write it wrong. This is one of my brother's favorites. Everyone knows what they are (birds what light on fire), but nobody really uses them. (Confession: Even I don't know how I would use them, but they're awesome.)
  • Kitsune. If you know fox maidens, it's a twist on that. Some of them can shapeshift into girls (like, uh, fox maidens), some of them have magic powers, but the legends say that the more tails a kitsune has, the longer it's lived and the more powerful it is.
  • And last but not least, humanoid animals. Just look these up on Pinterest and let your imagination go free. Humanoid cats, humanoid birds, humanoid wolves... and the list goes on. Super neat.
In all seriousness though, just Pinterest search for 'fantasy hybrids' and you will get all kinds of cool stuff. Seriously have you seen the jaguar that is also a peacock???? Aaaaaaaa! I love.


What is your favorite lesser-used creature in books? What's your favorite classic fantasy creature? Let me know in the comments!

Sorry, I know I said this week's post was going to be about something else, but I got excited about this one, so I moved it up. I apologize. My post about writing realistic farm life is coming next week, though! (just in case you were super excited about it, which I doubt, said Eeeyore) Anyway, take a look at my writing Twitter and Instagram accounts in the meantime for writing memes!!!! I'll see you next week!!!

Comments

  1. Ooh I like this post!! This is such a cool list. I once had a story idea with griffins and phoenixes in it, but it kinda...fell to the wayside... But yessss to all the gorgeous mythical creatures! Sylphs--I forgot about those. And a winged stag?? That does indeed sound glorious, why have I not heard of it before??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why you've never heard of the peryton before, but they are one of my favorite creatures! So glad I was able to introduce you to them!

      Delete
    2. The rukh (roc) is my favorite underused creature, and I love to create my own creatures.

      Delete
  2. I have heard of perytons before they cast the shadow of a man until they kill one, that is probably one of the reasons they aren't very popular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. I didn't know that about perytons. Sorry for my late reply btw, blogger turned off my comment notifications again.

      Delete
  3. Phoenix, not Pheonix. Spent my life correcting that spelling haha!! and Harry Potter used Phoenix :) I don't know if there is a proper plural because lore state there is only one at a time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness. I just Googled it and you're right. I've been spelling it wrong my whole life. *Has existential crisis*

      Delete
  4. Something to keep in mind. A tammer isn’t a historical myth creature. It was created by deviantart user vidagr in March of 2011. The other creatures listed are historical myth creatures and attached to different cultures.

    The reason the dryads (originally hamadryades) and naiads don’t share matching names with sylphs is that the term sylph originates in the 16th century by the works of Paracelsus (born as Theophrastus von Hohenheim in1493 in Switzerland) aren’t Greek mythology and were created centuries after the Greek nymphs. While dryads are oak tree nymphs/spirits, naiads are nymphs/spirits of specifically fountains, wells, springs, streams, brooks and other bodies of fresh water from Greek mythology in like.. 2 AD or something like that. Probably sooner, but that was the earliest source I could find on short notice. There are others. Oreads inhabit mountains, but their names branch out depending on which mountain such as Idaeae, Peliades, Nysiades, etc. Nereids are sea nymphs, lampades are nymphs from the underworld. Okeanids are ocean nymphs specifically being the daughters of Okeanos. The list goes on...

    Those names are also only the official name to those specific cultures, please keep in mind other cultures with similar creatures do not refer to them as such. For the sake of respect to the culture from which you’re using these creatures, it’s best to do in-depth research to make sure you’re using the correct term for the myth creature or being you’re using.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the research you did for this! The main aim of this post was to give writers some ideas for their fantasy novels, so I know I didn't give too much backstory on any of them. But I assure you, I meant no offense to anyone. 😊

      Delete
    2. I am so sorry! I realized how flat and cold my reply came off as and with text tone can be completely lost. My super sincere apologies! Really. I’m working on a myth creature encyclopedia and MA in mythology and I forget so often that my writing can come across as too flat/critical/etc.

      Because I do really appreciate the effort to give writers a wider idea for what to use. Mostly because that’s exactly how I started my studies. Realizing I knew only what I grew up with... Greek mythos and the elves, unicorns, and such. Randomly one day it wasn’t really enough for me anymore and I just *had* to know more.

      So, again, I am super sorry I came off as flat or lecturing. It really wasn’t my intention.

      Delete
    3. That is totally ok! I've done the same thing myself. 😂 I just wanted to make sure I hadn't upset anyone. All the information you gave me was super cool, I loved reading about it! Do you know of any good blogs/resources where I could read more?

      Delete
  5. I'm currently working on a first draft of a book containing both elves and dwarves, but the main character is actually going to be a phoenix (naturally a lot of liberties has been taken in that regard though go adapt the species into something a bit more manageable.) AND she has a cat sidekick. Had to comment. Couldn't stop smiling as I read this post ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds so awesome!! How did you change the phoenix to make it relatable to the audience? I'm so intrigued!

      Delete
  6. I'm currently working on a first draft of a book containing both elves and dwarves, but the main character is actually going to be a phoenix (naturally a lot of liberties has been taken in that regard though go adapt the species into something a bit more manageable.) AND she has a cat sidekick. Had to comment. Couldn't stop smiling as I read this post 😂

    ReplyDelete
  7. I personally love using wyverns, as militarized creatures, 😏

    You gave me a wonderful idea with the Tammer! and I thought you'd like to know that one of my main characters has a grimalkin that follows him everywhere and is always getting him out of trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am going to use the mythical magical mystical creatures of Nordic folklore, as I'm Finnish. There's a LOT in Norway, Iceland, Sweden, and Finland most people have never even heard of. Z. Topelius used a lot of them, and other Nordic authors, if you are interested. For example vättar, huldra, troll...
    Also, the Slavic world has a LOT of these creatures that are definitely underused, so much so most people don't even know about them. For example, the vilies or vilas. There's more where that came from...
    Griffins are one of my favorites, they are pretty common in the Finnish and Swedish fairy tales.
    I also love the Kirin or Qilin. The Chinese unicorns. They are a little different from Western unicorns.
    Also, the firebird. Like phoenix, but different, and there are more of them.
    Elementals are very much unused thing. Think about mermaids. There's similar creatures for air, fire, and earth. Think about Calcifer in Howl's Moving Castle. So much potential, though one never sees or hears about these. :-D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

10 Underused Historical Settings in Fiction

Villain Motivation Ideas Taken From History