My Goals for 2020 (and how they stacked up against reality lol)

Photo by Shane from Pexels


This is gonna be a funny post, I can already tell.

Ummmmmmmm as you can guess I didn't accomplish all my 2020 goals the way I thought I would. It's normal for some of your goals to fall by the wayside, because life never goes quite like you planned, but I think it's safe to say that this year didn't go the way anyone planned at all.

It was a train wreck, not gonna lie. XD

My goals for 2020 were:


Edit and publish Robbing Centaurs and Other Bad Ideas
How it went:
Um I was not counting on RCOBI needing so much work?? My big plan when I was originally planning a trilogy was to do the first drafts on three consecutive NaNoWriMos, and to edit each one in the eleven months in between each November so that they could be published, boom boom boom, in three years.

How realistic of me.

*nervous laughing* As it turns out, I am not Rick Riordan and I can't pump out another finished book each fall. I'm close to finishing the edits on RCOBI, or at least that's what I'm remembering, but it's still not finished, and I'm not likely to pick up work on it again until January. So I guess the RCOBI trilogy will just happen according to God's plan and not mine XD


Get traction for RCOBI via ARCs, reviews, etc.
How it went:
Can you imagine me sending out ARCs for a book that isn't finished editing? With all my things that [happen in brackets] and my half-finished scenes and pages of outtakes? 'Here, wanna review this pile of crap that I'm not done yet?' XD No. I did not do this either.

Wow, so far this list is a train wreck. Ahahahaha this is what I thought would happen XD You're probably already tired of me saying XD but I laugh at your wrath XD XD


Pass 1,000 followers on Twitter
How it went:

Okay okay this is the exciting one for me. 

I had a whole couple of paragraphs written here on how I had planned to cross 1k followers before the new year, but due to some crap that went down in June I've been less active on Twitter and it didn't end up happening, BUT! Right after I drafted this post at the beginning of the month, I sent out a tweet asking if the Twitter writer community could get me to 1,000 before the new year, because why not? 

AND GOOD GRIEF DID I GET A RESPONSE. I was in no way expecting this, but once I posted it, my phone started blowing up. Dozens of people liked and retweeted and gave me shoutouts, even people I hadn't met yet. Before I posted the tweet, I was sitting in the early to mid 900s, but in less than 24 hours, I crossed over 1,000. AND THE NUMBERS ARE STILL HOLDING STEADY.

The power of people is unbelievable. It really is.


Pass 250 followers on Instagram
How it went:

Aha!! One that I did!! Actually, I think I undersold myself on Instagram by shooting for 250, because as of now I have over 600 followers! I'm so happy to have accumulated so many in just a year, and it makes me so happy. I also feel like my content has improved a lot this year, which is probably something that helped me accumulate more followers. <3


Go on another road trip
How it went:

Believe it or not, this year I have gone on three road trips. The first was my trip to camp in the next state, which gave me a vacation for a full week. Then in October, as you know, I went on vacation with my family in the OBX, and then turned back around 2 days later to go to a funeral. So in the end my travel this year exceeded my expectations, even if one of the trips had to be for a funeral. :(


Get a professionally done haircut
How it went:

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL CAN YOU PICTURE ME WANTING TO GO TO A SALON AND GO THROUGH ALL THE NORMAL STRESS OF CHANGING A HAIRSTYLE WHILE WEARING A MASK? I passed on that, thanks. I got a haircut from my mom earlier in the year to get rid of all the hair that kept catching on everything, but that's all. Maybe this goal will get bumped to 2021.


Change jobs
How it went:

When I wrote 'change jobs' as one of my year goals, it was mostly because I knew I needed to try more than one job in my young years so that I could figure out what I liked. I had no idea how ready I would be to leave come October and November. I'm not going to go into all of it, but my old job was starting to feel really repetitive and mentally exhausting, so I made it a goal to be gone before Christmas. And good news! I started a new job on November 30th, so I was long gone before the Christmas season rolled around. So far I'm really liking my new job! I was pretty anxious that the new job would make me even more stressed and unhappy, but thank the Lord all that has been disproven now. I'm in a much better place. Thank the Lord!


That's it for today. How did your 2020 goals stack up against reality? What do you hope to do in 2021? Let's talk in the comments!

Comments

  1. Honestly, it sounds like you did a pretty good job with your goals, all things considered! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it seriously went better than I thought! I thought this whole list would be one big lol

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

12 Underused Creatures and Animals in Fantasy

10 Underused Historical Settings in Fiction

Villain Motivation Ideas Taken From History