Everything I Love About Eddie Brock as a Character



Ah, Eddie Brock. Look, if you didn't enjoy Venom, we need to have a serious talk. Because that movie was amazing, even if the trailers were totally false advertizing from beginning to end. Sure, it could have been spruced up in a couple small ways, but ultimately I think it was an amazing movie and I am always in the right mood to watch Venom.

I think one of the primary reasons why I loved the movie so much was because of Eddie Brock. That guy was a fantastically written character and actually had a lot more depth than I expected?? (also are we going to talk about how Tom Hardy's American accent sounds more realistic than his actual, real-life British accent? I don't get it.)

So if you don't mind, I'm about to gush about Eddie Brock and pretend it's a real post(jk it's a real post, plz don't leave :|  )


Always wants to do what's right(to a fault)
If I had to describe Eddie's character at the bare minimum, I'd just say that he wants to do what's right. That is all. In every decision, he's looking to do the right thing. Even when he did what was really the wrong thing in exposing what he knew about the man he was supposed to interview and allowing that information to be tracked back to Annie, he was just looking to do right.

Won't tolerate corruption
Eddie won't let corruption run rampant. If he can do anything about it, he won't watch corrupt people mess things up, and even when he has to put up with Venom literally controlling his limbs, he does everything he can to stop it. He won't be corrupted, even by Venom.

When it hits the fan, he's still doing his best
And you can tell. Everything's gone wrong, he's lost everything good he ever had, and you can tell he's still doing his best. He's working hard to find a new job, he's still doing grocery shopping(even if he's not shopping for strictly healthy food), he's trying to hold it all together. He's making a serious effort, and I admire it.
Sure, the meditation thing didn't work out(and I didn't think it would), but he gave it a shot

Thoroughly willing to eat chocolate and tater tots for dinner
Here is a man of good taste. Please, Eddie, can I come over so that I can also have tater tots and chocolate for dinner?


Venom: *hits man in the face* Eddie: "I'm so sorry!!"
 (yes this is a valid reason to love him)

He apologizes the right way.
Just listen to this, okay? The wording is super important. When he took the time to apologize to Annie for everything that had happened, he said, 'if I ever... and for everything I ever did to you' That is the right thing to say. He started off on the 'if I did anything', but he already knows he did something wrong, and he knows exactly what it is. So he catches himself and fixes it. THAT is how you give an honest apology. He's one of the good ones.

Not your average buff superhero. 
I cannot give enough appreciation for people in movies who aren't buff, aren't supermodels, are just people. Eddie is just a random sweaty, sweatshirt-wearing anybody. And that makes me happy. Call Superman an everyman if you want, but Eddie's the real deal.

*has an alien living inside him that he can't get rid of* *makes friends with it*


He recognizes the outcasts
Eddie is personal friends with a homeless woman, and they talk all the time. He has his own TV show and a massive amount of fame, and he's out there using it to look out for the little guy. He doesn't overlook people. I respect that on a deep level.

Responds to all hell breaking loose with realistic and appropriate panic
I LAUGH SO MUCH AT HIS REACTION TO ANYTHING. I mean, did you see him flipping out about how he climbed up that tree so fast? XD I die every time.

He doesn't get the girl in the end
This is important!! He wants to get her back, of course he does, but!!! he's not overthrowing the other guy cuz both he and Annie's new boyfriend are decent men and bigger than fighting over their differences. Not to mention it's just refreshing to see someone not throw out the new boyfriend in the end just because they can.


Yes, I love this movie and I demand like 5 sequels. I also want Sony to make a deal with Marvel so that Tom Hardy's Venom and Tom Holland's Spiderman can have a movie together. PRETY PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE! I need this, ok?

Did you like Venom? Who's the best spiderman? Let's talk in the comments!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12 Underused Creatures and Animals in Fantasy

10 Underused Historical Settings in Fiction

Villain Motivation Ideas Taken From History